Congratulations and Thank You for Registering!
The following are required prior to attending the “How to Build Your Website in 1/2 a Day” Event
[dropcap2 variation=”red”]Step 1[/dropcap2]
Choose and purchase a domain name: A domain name is the name you choose to represent your website (eg. yoursite.com). I recommend purchasing your domain name at BlueHost.com. The following are some tips about choosing the best domain name for your website:
- Try choosing a domain name that matches the main keyword or keyword phrase that relates to the main content of your site. For example, if you sell purple dog collars in California, you may want the domain name PurpleDogCollarsCalifornia.com. This is known as an Exact Match Domain Name. Note: because of some recent updates to Google, you want to make sure your exact match domain name is relevant to your site. This simply means that most of the content on your site should match the meaning of your domain name. In the example above, you should make sure your site is about purple dog collars in California and not training your cats in Florida!
- Do include location as in the example above if you are a local business.
- Do not use hyphens in your domain name. For example, do not use purple-dog-collars-california.com.
- You will want to have a few alternative domain names ready in case the domain name you want has already been purchased. You will find out if it has been purchased while you are registering your domain name at BlueHost.
- Always try to purchase a “.com” name unless you are a non-profit or college/university.
- It is a good idea to purchase privacy protection for the domain name.
If you already have a domain name, move on to step #2.
[dropcap2 variation=”red”]Step 2[/dropcap2]
Purchase hosting from a WordPress-ready company: Watch the video below on how to purchase and set up your hosting company. I strongly recommend BlueHost.com, as it is the number one choice of WordPress.org.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links listed above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, will provide me with a commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking on the links. I only recommend companies I have directly used or have experience with and only recommend them because I believe in them, not because I make a commission from them. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them.